Healthy Eating on a Budget
Prepare your meals at home to ensure a healthy diet - and save money. In the current economic climate many people are looking to save money on everyday food items. But that doesn't mean that you have to compromise your health to save a few pounds! By following some simple guidelines you can ensure that you and your family enjoy low fat and nutritious food without paying top dollar:
- Shop from a list after you have prepared a weekly menu plan. This will reduce frequent shopping at smaller, more expensive food stores or buying take away foods on the way home from work.
- Shop at fresh fruit and vegetable markets. The produce will last longer (and taste better!) than items purchased at large supermarket chains. Purchase fruit and vegetables that are in season.
- Don't shop when you are hungry as you are more likely to buy items you may not 'need'.
- Buy non perishable items such as cereal and pasta in bulk at large supermarkets.
- Shop online - if you don't go to the shops frequently you are less likely to make impulse purchases. If you shop online from home you can check what is in your fridge and cupboards to save doubling up!
- Buy fresh ingredients and prepare meals yourself rather than buying takeaway foods or pre-prepared items.
- Make some items in bulk to use for a number of meals. Its almost no more effort, you can freeze and bring out later for home made, cheap ready meals.